You’re Making at least one of them!
Weight loss boils down to a simple-sounding formula: burn more calories than you take in. But anybody who has ever cut calories and started exercising more in an effort to slim down knows it’s a lot harder than it sounds. All dieters inevitably make mistakes along the way—and most of the time they don’t even realize it. Here are the 7 mistakes that everyone makes when they’re trying to shed fat.
- Focusing too much on the number on the scale: Don’t weigh yourself every single day! Try it once a week in the morning before you eat. Your weight can fluctuate three to five pounds a day depending on a variety of factors
- Eating too little calories: You can’t keep this up very long. At some point you will implode and end up binging 3000 calories in one meal. Also, you’ll put your body into starvation mode and it will start trying to conserve as much fat as possible. No bueno.
- Not Eating enough protein: Protein supports muscle growth. Muscle burns fat. Also, protein will keep you feeling fuller longer than carbohydrates.
- Not sleeping enough: Not getting enough sleep increases the hunger hormone causing many people to overeat during the day and make bad choices. Also, the more you sleep the more energy you will have to power through the day.
- Having unrealistic Expectations: I want to lose 15 lbs in two weeks. Even a month. While this can be done with a restrictive diet, it is pretty unrealistic for most people and usually is not a great long-term solution. Focus on a long term change to your lifestyle and the pounds will come off
- Comparing yourself to someone else: My friend Jane lost 30 lbs in a month! I want to do that. I’m sure you do but never compare yourself to anyone else. You are awesome, unique and individual and we want you to be you! Everyone’s weight loss journey is different and yours will be different than your friend’s. Enjoy the journey and focus on YOU!
- Thinking Weight Loss has to be a miserable experience: Weight loss doesn’t have to be miserable. Many women think they need to give up everything they enjoy in order to lose weight. The fact is you can have alcohol and sweets in moderation. The best way to enjoy your journey is to use a caloric counting app.
Your weight loss journey will be unique to you. Have patience and you will see the pounds come off and when you look back you will realize that it happened quickly. Get quality sleep and eat the things you enjoy in moderation. Don’t compare yourself to anyone else just know that you can do this and we love you for who you are. Never Give Up!